Sunday, February 17, 2013

Mail Order Bride






Well I did it! No, I didn't get a mail order bride, but I did order a bike on line. I never thought I would do it but the temptation was just too strong. I have been looking at the single speed bikes but not seriously. Did I need another bike, no. Did I have better things to do with my money, yes. So why did I think I had to have one? Well 50% off was one reason then they threw "FREE SHIPPING" at me and I was hooked. Susie said I could get some bike parts for my Valentine's Day present so I ordered it and was surprised to get it in two days. I looked the shipping box over for damage and was again was surprised to not see any damage or marks on it. I couldn't open it right away because I was making a bed for Buddy for his Valentines Day gift. Later that day I opened the box like it had a bomb in it, not wanting to scratch anything. Taking each part out and checking it out. When I had my shop in the seventies I opened lots of these boxes and a few while I worked for Spencer. There was always something not right or missing so I was being extra careful. Well everything was fine and I carefully unwrapped each part and started dry fitting it. My fear of ordering a bike on line is what you do if something is wrong when you get it. I wasn't worried about normal assyembly of adjustments but bad threads, missing parts of damaged items. I am glad to say it was in very good condition. After I put it together out of the box I went through again it today and greased everything, trued the front wheel slightly, adjusted the brakes to my liking and put a coat of wax on everything. Would I every order another bike on line, Yes. Would I recommend it for everyone, no. I have been working on bikes for over fifty years so I have that in my favor. The other thing is size. Just because you're bike you have now fits you doesn't mean a different one of the same size will. You need to read and take measurements and if your not sure call the place your ordering from. A road bike, a mountain bike and a track bike may all be the same size but will fit differently. If you're not sure of anything it is best to buy from your local dealer.
I will change the handlebars, they are a little too stretched out for me. And yes, I did alter the cranks photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment